Sunday 28 June 2009

Up at 5.50, twice in a row?!?!

Yes. Yes I was. Need to be at the ER at 6.50, a ten minute drive, and need to be ready and smart beforehand. No promises, but I may never moan about going to Barrow again (that’s a lie, I will ALWAYS moan about going to Barrow!).

I love wearing scrubs though. It’s pretty challenging NOT to be bare-below-the-elbows (BBE) if you’re in scrubs, so I’m all for every doctor and student wearing them from now on. Bizarrely though, BBE doesn’t apply in America, I could have decked myself out in rings, bracelets, etc, had I so wished. I started off wearing a couple of rings, but it just felt so wrong, I had to take them off…

The other major positive for today… I appreciated the neurology rotation I’ve just finished oh-so-much. I saw a youngish patient with a history of seizures over the past few months, and was able to take a history, examine and diagnose the patient with confidence. I also discussed some of the epilepsy issues with the consultant, things I would never have known about otherwise.

I love it when what I’ve learnt has immediate relevance. It makes all the work worthwhile…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Slowly, slowly working my way through medical school thanks to a good sense of humour, some fantastic friends, a wonderful boyfriend, a brilliant family, and a relaxed faith.