Monday 22 June 2009

First Day Blues...

Well, I say first day. I mean "orientation" although to be honest, that was plenty!

Just to get me off to a great start, I turned up at the ER... and there was a metal detector. You know, like the ones you go through at airports? Yes, them. To check for guns. Wow. You're not in the RLI any more.

So I manage to get over this, and meet the lovely resident who is to show me around, and she does - first letting me watch the trauma case that had just come in - someone hit by a pickup truck. There were more than TWENTYFIVE people in the room with him, and I can't even begin to list who exactly... but surgeons, anaesthetists, bloodbank, etc.

Not bad for 20 minutes spent in the ER.

Anyway! So I have my ID, my manual, my shift cards, and am ready to begin properly tomorrow. 7am - 7pm. Gulp.

But, because all this lasted approximately 90minutes, I was free to spend the rest of the day 1) riding on a streetcar 2) wandering around the French Quarter 3) getting lost in same 4) taking a few pictures of where I am staying... which have all been thrown onto Picasa... so check out:

http://picasaweb.google.com/originalliv

And now, I must go and read the orientation manual, and then watch the LSU (Louisiana State University) Baseball game. I feel so American!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Slowly, slowly working my way through medical school thanks to a good sense of humour, some fantastic friends, a wonderful boyfriend, a brilliant family, and a relaxed faith.