Monday 22 June 2009

All-American Hospitality

Well, it's official. New Orleans is going to make me FAT. But happy. So who cares?

I was so privileged today to be included in a my host's family gathering - celebrating Fathers Day (which is a WAY bigger deal here in the US than back in the UK, Barack Obama even did an interview about it!), and two of the "younger generation's" birthdays. It was lovely, a really happy family gathering, with Grandma, 3 kids plus husbands/wifes, and the some of the grandkids. And me, the anomalous Brit. But one who was accepted with open arms - partly due to my love of ice (because of this, I was referred to as the "respectable British person").

Anyway! So we went to a beautiful family home (all the houses here are huge and beautiful, spacious, with fantastic design and furnishings) for a meal. Since being here (i.e. an entire 24 hours), I have been eating the traditional American fare with a vengeance. My list:

-Fried chicken (LOVE it. Hot or cold)
-Italian salad (a meal in itself: ham, chicken, salami, shrimp, egg, asparagus, cheese x2, lettuce)
-Ranch dressing (mmmmmm!)
-Potato salad
-Doberge cake (a New Orleans speciality. Multiple thin layers of cake with eg custard/pudding between them, and chocolate icing. Google it. And be jealous)
-Brownies (made by yours truly and my lovely host, JD)
-Chocolate peanut butter brownies (oh my.)
-Reece's Pieces
-Milk Duds (chocolate covered caramal. Yummy!)

Like I say, FAT.

But it's wonderful. All of it. Absolutely wonderful. I love it here, I love the heat, and I am very excited about tomorrow - my orientation day at the hospital.



1 comment:

  1. learn how to make that doberge cake... you can make it when i come visit you in Lancypoos next year!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Slowly, slowly working my way through medical school thanks to a good sense of humour, some fantastic friends, a wonderful boyfriend, a brilliant family, and a relaxed faith.