Monday 28 September 2009

Just a catalogue of disasters...

Well, one disaster to be more specific. And actually, not so much a disaster as an amusing anecdote... for you. Not for me. For me, a painful reminder of why our dog is so rubbish.

I was home this weekend, and like a good daughter (and 1/3-owner) I walked the dog morning and evening every day I was back. Once my beloved boyfriend was back, he was dragged out as well, much as he tried to look disapproving (he loves walking her really, he just doesn't know it).

Anyway... Sunday morning was my last chance to walk the lovely puppy for an entire two weeks, so of course I agreed to a nice long walk over the Down's with beloved & the puppy. This was my first mistake. What I should have said was "no, no, mum, you take her, I will be wrestling with gorillas" - or any other excuse.

So off we went, in a bit of a manic rush... got to the Down's, and realised we hadn't brought a lead. How smooth. Oh well, the dog mostly comes back when she's called (unless, of course, there is something moving/breathing/generally being there, which she finds more interesting), so never mind. Off we went.

Of course, she did a poo within seconds, and as best beloved refuses to pick this up, I was on dog poo duty. Which isn't a massive issue, you have to take the rough with the smooth, blah blah blah. Oh, and I do medicine, so I see far more grim things literally every day.

Anyway. We carried on, the dog chased the ball, we walked, it was sunny, fantastic. Until we got to the bit near the dog poo bin, when I "would just pop over there to the bin, back in a sec-----". For ----- you need to imagine yours truly going flying when foot gets caught in a rabbit hole. Even as I fell I remembered how many times I have broken my wrist, and so tucked it out of harms way. Consequently landing on my shoulder. OW. Ow ow ow ow ow.

But it seemed ok. So eventually we got up (best beloved came over and gave me a cuddle, the dog ignored me for 5 minutes then brought the ball over so I could carry on playing), and walked back, arm still a bit achy, but nothing awful. Finished our day at home (yummy fajitas for lunch), got the train back (lots of idiots with loud music), and walked home. Arm still painful... but you know.

Unfortunately, my arm has now changed it's mind. And it HURTS. So, I can't move it forwards, backwards, sideways, or up. And that's pretty much all the options for arms, exhausted. I have a torn supraspinatous muscle, which will "improve with rest". My right arm (the injured one) doesn't understand this concept, particularly as I still need to write, brush my teeth, cook, get dressed, you know... live.

So in summary, don't get a dog.

Or make someone else pick up the poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Slowly, slowly working my way through medical school thanks to a good sense of humour, some fantastic friends, a wonderful boyfriend, a brilliant family, and a relaxed faith.