Wednesday 23 September 2009

Almost four weeks in...

I can't actually believe I've been back for, well, certainly 3 1/2 weeks. I have been running around in the hospital, taking blood, taking more blood, and, well, taking even more blood. And I've only got one patient! (That, people, was a joke. A poor joke, it's true, but I'm very tired. And not a comedian).

So what have I been up to in these past few weeks? Well, I have been to TWO shows, at TWO separate theatres! Dave Gorman, at the Lancaster Grand was absolutely superb. Unfortunately, he (quite rightly) requested that we didn't leak any details of his show on the internet, so that those who haven't seen it don't have it ruined. Suffice to say, it was absolutely fantastic, and I laughed and laughed.

The second show that I went to see was booked on an absolute whim (Dave Gorman having been booked in about May)... whilst looking on Ticketmaster for various other things, I ended up finding that "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" was playing in a) Manchester and b) Bristol. Now, when we were little, my parents used to listen to ISIHAC in the car, and I'll be honest, I never understood it. Or not much of it anyway (other than the end bit - the Doctors ball/the mechanics film club, etc). However, when searching for tapes to play in my car (I know, I am the only person with the exceptionally old school tape player), I found some of these tapes. And they are fantastic. Crash-the-car-laughing funny... and so I've been listening ever since.

So of COURSE I couldn't pass over an opportunity to see them live! And although it was tempting to pop back to Bristol for the weekend, I had plans, and so instead I found myself on a train to Manchester last Friday evening, ready to see ISIHAC stage tour. It was hilarious. Again, I laughed, and laughed, but this time, I also played the kazoo! This was so very exciting... I hasten to add that it wasn't JUST me playing kazoo, but that the rest of the audience were able to play along too.

What else? Ah yes, the infamous pub quiz. Three of us went merrily along to our local to participate in the good old pub quiz. Knowing that it's not really a student pub, and that the average age of participants is, well, significantly higher than ours, we weren't expecting to do well. And yet... and yet at the end, we appeared to have tied with another team... in FIRST PLACE.

Unfortunately, the other team are well-known as the pedantic, annoying people who contest everything (and as a result, always win)... but this fact we only found out when we went to the bar and found them arguing about not only their (clearly correct) but also our (obviously wrong) answers. *note brackets denote their beliefs, not mine*. Long story short, we finally were allowed to win (!!!)the tiebreaker with some dignity - at which point the other team 'graciously' stormed out. Ooops. We can't go back now - we think they might break our legs.

And I have just realised, that it is dark, and a certain tortoise needs some cress soon, so I must pop upto Spar and get some. Unfortunately, it IS dark, and I have to go right past the pub where our murderous competitors spend their time. I may wear a mask...

If you've not heard from me in, say, three weeks... maybe send out a search party...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Slowly, slowly working my way through medical school thanks to a good sense of humour, some fantastic friends, a wonderful boyfriend, a brilliant family, and a relaxed faith.