Monday 10 August 2009

Boating

A most enjoyable weekend, all in all.

Despite the tail end of swine flu (or something equally vile), we managed a lovely lovely weekend. Two "lovely"'s will tell you just how good it was.

My uncle, aunt and one cousin headed down to Bristol, and together with my parents, brother, fantastic boyfriend, and other aunt and uncle, spent some quality time "messing about in boats".

My uncle has a RIB (inflatable but with solid base) with a big engine so we spent Saturday evening pootling around Bristol harbour, watching the balloons launch over Bristol, checking out the locks for Sunday, and laughing at our daft dog who went bananas at the sight of so much water, and spent a good hour swimming in the end. And then got so overexcited in the boat we had to take her out before she combusted.

Saturday evening was spent in a wonderful, if chaotic, family meal at our house, with much laughter, beer, cheese, and noisiness. This was cut somewhat short by the thoughts of the next morning (not so much excitement as dread, really, with a 7.30 start. That's 7.30 IN THE BOAT)

But we managed it. Leaving the dog behind (she glowered at us from her basket), we spent the day cruising up the Avon to the river Severn and the Bristol Channel, passing under the suspension bridge with the balloons rising up around us, and reaching some pretty decent speeds, which made picture taking a challenge, at best.

THEN we went for breakfast. Yes, I know. But it was only about 10.00 by the time we'd been up and down the river. And going to Lockside really is a treat. For me, a cup of hot chocolate (more cream than chocolate, and more mini marshmallows than cream may have given me my entire days calories. But having not eaten with flu, I deserved it) and Eggs benedict with bubble and squeak. Delicious.

Then back to pack the boat up. It is amazing how much work packing a boat away is. Literally ages of faffing around and sorting and tidying and stuff. I remembered why I don't sail (other than lack of money, boat, ability, time, etc).

So, as I said, a lovely lovely weekend.

I like boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Slowly, slowly working my way through medical school thanks to a good sense of humour, some fantastic friends, a wonderful boyfriend, a brilliant family, and a relaxed faith.